Google Analytics

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

255,0,0 or 0, 255, 0

Red is an auspicious color in Chinese culture. Therefore, when the stock market goes up, the numbers are displayed in red. When the market goes down, red's complementary color green is used. This seems logical except the western world operates in the exact opposite manner - green is used when the market goes up and red is used when the market goes down.

When I do a quick check of stock prices on the computer I often have to keep track of what language I am using or which site I am searching. This is because the same information is presented differently.





While I wish the world can agree on the use of colors, such as the ones for the traffic lights, it is unlikely colors can ever be disassociated from cultures. I just have to learn to be careful in discerning information with colors and be happy when I see red or green in the right context.

No comments:

Post a Comment