Google Analytics

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grist for the Mill

I left my Peugeot pepper mill in New York since we still need it there. Peugeot was the first to create the mechanism for pepper grinder in 1842. The mechanism uses a hardened steel that allows for long term use. While I love the Peugeot, I figure I try something else for our kitchen in Taipei. I purchased an Alessi grinder (PZ01) designed by the Swiss architect Peter Zumthor. The grinder was originally designed by Zumthor as an one-off piece for his own use. Now it is part of the Alessi Officina collection. The grinder is made from a single piece of wood, either maple or walnut (the one I have), and measures 29.5 cm in height. Unlike the typical mill with a protruding knob at the top, Zumthor designed a countersunk screw as the adjuster and attachment to the drive shaft; a little harder to access but much sleeker in appearance.



1 comment: